Thursday, January 17, 2013

My Emmy Theory

Pretty much since the first moment I saw her, I loved Emmy Altava. I don't know, maybe it was the general air of fun and adventure she had about her. Maybe it was because, while I didn't hate Flora, she seemed to be a much better female protagonist.

Or maybe it was the fact that this scene exists and it's AWESOME.


To this day, Emmy still remains one of my favorite Layton characters. ...Which is why I really hate writing a theory like this about her. But once I've noticed something, it's hard to get my mind off of it.

By the way, this will contain spoilers for Miracle Mask and (maybe) Last Specter. You've been warned.

I didn't really start thinking about Emmy that much until I read a topic on a forum with speculations about the ending of Miracle Mask. (Topic is here; I'll probably refer to it again in one of the next posts, too.) Somebody made a connection between Emmy having a camera and the photos that Bronev looks at in his introductory scene, saying that she could've taken those photos for him. While I don't think this is right, (the pics are of the Akbadain Ruins, which Emmy hasn't been to, as far as we know.) it brought her to my attention.

At first, I was really defensive for her. I tried to find every single possibility or hint that she was connected to Targent and shoot it down. All this did, though, was help me find an actual link.

Back before Last Specter released in America, I was super SUPER excited for it. So, while I was busy waiting, I went ahead and watched the Japanese version of the scene above. (Hey, what do you know? It's still on Youtube! It was uploaded by the same person too. Go figure.) The description also had an english translation that, while being an incredibly bad translation, contained one interesting bit of information. Emmy has an uncle, and he was the one who taught her how to fight.

However, this line was not included in the official english release. In fact, there is no mention of Emmy's uncle at all or where she learned her awesome fighting skills. So naturally, I assumed that it was unimportant and forgot about it.

But then Miracle Mask came out.

I'm not sure how many people still read the game manuals these days, but I still find it a habit to flip through them. Because of this, the first thing I did after buying the game was skim through the manual. The first page I opened to was the character profiles, and Emmy's profile caught my eye:

"Professor Layton's official assistant is a dedicated, intelligent, and energetic young woman. She is a keen photographer with excellent research skills. Her background is a bit of a mystery, but we do know that she studied martial arts under her uncle."

The fact that that was there blew my mind. If they were mentioning a detail that was lost in translation (even if it was only put in the game manual), that meant it was a big deal.

This came to mind soon after I rewatched this scene in my effort to prove Emmy's innocence.


Though the fight between Descole and Bronev doesn't last more than five seconds (dang it, Descole!), it's fairly obvious that Bronev has at least a little fighting experience under his belt. Even with how little they show, you can compare it to how Emmy fights and see a resemblance in the almost effortless dodging and tossing.

So... yeah, I think Bronev is Emmy's uncle.

 And if that wasn't enough, the Secret Episode unlocked by entering the secret code from Last Specter into Miracle Mask pretty much hits the final nail in the coffin. When Luke asks her why she's being so defensive about being Layton's assistant and being given the job by Dean Delmona, she stutters, "I-I'm not being defensive!" and changes the subject.

Obvious hint is obvious. She's definitely working for Targent. It would explain how she so conveniently shows up right before Layton goes to investigate the first Azran Legacy, too.

Just what it is she's doing for them, except possibly keeping tabs on Layton, I have no clue.

P.S. Oh hey, first blog post in almost two years! Yay?

No comments:

Post a Comment